Debra Swift is the original founder/owner of Swift Audiology and Hearing Aid Service and has been in Practice for over 30 years. She has been providing excellence in Hearing Healthcare in Washington, Fayette, Westmoreland, Greene and Allegheny Counties. Debra is Nationally Board Certified in Hearing Instrument Sciences and has served on the Board of Directors for the Pennsylvania Hearing Healthcare Association as past Treasurer and is currently serving as Secretary. She was awarded the PHHA President’s award for outstanding service and has received the Melvin Jones Fellowship award from the Lions club, for her service in helping those in need of hearing help.
Latest posts by Debra Swift, BC-HIS (see all)
- Strange Causes of Hearing Loss - October 31, 2019
- Falls & Accidents Are More Likely with Hearing Loss - October 29, 2019
- Link Between Stress and Hearing Loss - October 29, 2019
Tinnitus or ringing in your ears can be a sign that your body is telling you something. Tinnitus is a symptom, so what is the cause? Here is a list of some unexpected causes for tinnitus.
- Impacted wax in your ears. When wax is fulling impacted in the ears sound is cut off causing a ringing sensation to the ears. Often times after the wax is removed by a professional, the ringing stops.
- Get your teeth checked! Your temperomandibular joint (TMJ) can cause audible sounds that may sound like ringing in your ears. Seeking a dentist to have your teeth and jaw check may help.
- Turn down the noise. One of the most common types of hearing loss is a noise-induced hearing loss. This occurs when there is damage to the nerve of hearing due to long-term noise exposure. Hearing protection and reduced volume in music can help.
- Medications. Certain medications that are prescribed may have a side effect of tinnitus. Consult your physician if you suspect your medication may be causing the ringing.
- Stress. One symptom of stress can be ringing in the ears. If something has changed in your life adding stress, consult your physician or even a counselor to help reduce the stress in your life.